Kuzhi Paniyaram (Karam)
Kuzhi Paniyaram is a South Indian dish, mostly done in Chettinad style. Its a quite good as an evening snack with any flavoured chutney, such as, red coconut chutney or pudina chutney or coriander chutney or any sauce.
We can have variation of it by adding sweet jaggery or spicy chilli. Here I am giving the recipe of Kara (spicy) Kuzhi Paniyaram.
For Batter :
Rice - 1 cup
Urad Dal - 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
For Seasoning :
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal, split - 1/2 tsp
Shallots (Sambar Onion), finely cut - 1 tbsp
Green Chilli, finely cut - 2
Ginger, finely cut - 1 inch piece
Curry Leaves, finely cut - 1 twig
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
For Making Batter :
- Soak the ingredients given for batter overnight and grind it coarsely, like for idly.
- You can use the idly batter instead of this.
Kuzhi Paniyaram Pan
For Making Paniyaram :
- Take oil in a kadai
- Season with mustard, urad dal.
- Add shallots, green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, asafoetida and saute well with salt.
- Mix with the batter.
- Keep the kuzhi paniyaram pan on fire.
- Pour a little oil into each mould of the paniyaram pan.
- Add seasoned batter into the mould of the kuzhi paniyaram pan.
- Close the lid and let it cook.
- After 3 mins, turn upside down the cooked paniyarams in the mould and cook the other side also.
- No more lid closing this time.
- Its ready in 3 mins.
- Have it with coconut chutney.